Bongjeongsa Temple, which is located on the foot of Mt. Cheondeungsan, was
built by a National Preceptor, Euisangdaesa in the second year of King Sinmun
(682) of Silla.
The hall, originally called Daejangjeon, was renamed later as "Geungnakjeon".
A record discovered when the hall was being repaired in 1972 indicates that
it was first repaired in the 12th year of King Gongmin's reign (1363) of Goryeo
(918-1392). It also indicates that the hall, at least, was constructed in the
mid Goryeo Kingdom, between the 12th and 13th century.
The hall, with three compartments on the front and four compartments at the
sides, has a gabled roof shaped like a Chinese character of 人, the eaves of
which are supported by column-head brackets. There is a door in the middle compartment
on the front and there are windows on both sides. The inside of the hall, where
the Buddhist image is placed, is decorated with colorful ornaments and carved
ivy patterns like those in pottery of mid Goryeo Kingdom.
Though built during the Goryeo Kingdom, the hall reflects the influences
of the architectural style of the earlier Unified Silla Period (668-935) and
is reputed as the oldest wooden structure in Korea. Of special note are the
inner frame of the hall and the simplicity of the bracket clusters.
* Special Information
Name of Cultural Properties Bongjeongsageungnakjeon(Geungnakjeon
Hall of Bongjeongsa Temple)
This hall, called Geungnakjeon, is reputed to be the oldest wooden structure
in Korea. A record discovered when the hall was being repaired in 1972 indicates
that it was first repaired in 1363 during the reign of King Gongmin(1351-74)
of Goryeo(918-1392) and again in 1625 during the reign of King Injo(1623-49)
of Joseon(1392-1910), the kingdom that superseded Goryeo. It was originally
called Daejangjeon. The hall has a gabled roof, the eaves of which are supported
by column-head brackets. Though built during Goryeo, the hall reflects the influences
of the architectural styling of the earlier Unified Siila period(668-935). Of
special note is the inner frame of the hall and the simplicity of the bracket