Two kilometers before the entrance to the temple is a tree many might miss.
It is a 600 year-old pine tree near the road. Legend tells that it bowed its branches in front of King Sejo ?a story of guilt. King Sejo was the second son of King Sejong; he succeeded the throne by murdering his nephew.
In old age he suffered from a severe skin ailment and tried to find solace from his ailment as well as his bad conscience in the forests of Sogni-san Mountain.
One day he met a young woman whose two boys called him grandfather. The woman was Princess Uisook, Sejo's daughter, who had to flee her father because she had pleaded for the life of the murdered nephew. At this meeting the king begged for forgiveness and invited these members of his family back to the palace. The princess refused saying that she preferred her simple life and she later fled further south.
Located on Songni-san Mountain, Popju-sa, "The Dharma Staying" temple, is believed to have been founded in 553, during the reign of King Chinhung; Master Uisang helped build it up. There is a record which states that, at times, 3,000 monks lived here. Eight times renovated, the last occasion was in 1906. Popju-sa is a Head Temple and has some 27 lesser temples under it.